News British Basketball League

December 5, 2016 by Surrey Scorchers

Match Report: Surrey Scorchers vs. Glasgow Rocks. BBL Cup Semi-final 2nd leg

Surrey Scorchers fought bravely but ultimately fell to a 168-152 aggregate defeat to Glasgow Rocks in the BBL Cup Semi-final.

Trailing by just 2 points from the first leg, Scorchers felt they had a good chance coming into the game but knew they faced a tough task against a Glasgow side who were looking to make it 12 wins in a row.

The game started as an even contested as Rocks got the match underway with a 2, but Surrey hit back immediately with a 2 of their own from Mike Ochereobia. The teams then shared another 2 between them, before Glasgow took their biggest lead of the night, as they went on a 10 point run, making the scores 14-4. With 5 minutes remaining in the quarter Scorchers head coach Creon called a timeout, and this seemed to settle the team down and bring them confidence. Straight from the restart Will Neighbour scored a 3 as Surrey looked to try and reduce the deficit.  A quickfire double from Chaz Rollins and Quincy Taylor brought the scores close before Glasgow found a 3 of their own. But Scorchers weren’t to be put away so easily and moved to within 1 when Rollins found another 2, before Neighbour scoring a 2 put Surrey ahead on the night. Rocks hit back but a couple of last minute 2s, first from Taylor and then from Jay Bowie left Surrey leading 24-20 as the quarter ended.

The second quarter was a topsy-turvy affair as both teams wrestled for control of the game. Glasgow quickly levelled the scores, before taking the lead themselves at 33-30; but a well-timed 3 from Irving put Surrey back on level terms, a free-throw from Tayo Ogedengbe put Scorchers in front again, and then a 2 from Rollins helped open up a 3-point gap at 38-35. Surrey continued to stay in front until the last minute of the quarter when Glasgow coming from 4 behind, hit back as they took a 45-42 lead going into half-time.

Glasgow Rocks have only lost once this season in league and cup and their confidence appeared to show at the beginning of the third quarter. Kicking on from their half-time lead, they quickly gained a 10-point gap at 56-46, with only Rollins scoring for the away side in that time. The game was slipping away from Scorchers and a free-throw from Taylor only momentarily broke Rocks momentum, and with 4 minutes still to play in the quarter they were 17 ahead. A double-double from Taylor followed up by a 2 from Rollins helped Scorchers end the period on a high, but going into the final quarter Rocks were 73-63 in front.

The last quarter started in similar fashion to the third. Rocks extended their gap to 14 points before both teams went on a scoreless 3-miunte run which was eventually ended when Neighbour scored from a free-throw, which was then followed by Taylor scoring a double-double to bring the scores back to 9. Tayo then found a 2 to bring hope to Surrey with 3 minutes remaining, but not long after Rocks found their rhythm again and as the game came to a close they found another couple of 2s to end the proceedings. Final score on the night: Rocks 87-73 Scorchers.

Connect with us

Designed by Four Pin Plug